Sunday, August 16, 2009

Just When I Was Beginning to Think I Had the Hang of It!

Okay, I was feeling pretty smug. After all, I had just published my first blog. Unfortunately, after reading it, I realized that I had not added Will Richardson's web blog address as a link. So I thought, this is no big deal, I'll just go back and edit it. Oh no, not so simple. First of all, instead of the edited text looking nice and colored like I typed it, it was in black with symbols (< >) and codes added in that meant absolutely nothing to me. Then I thought, I'll just open up a new web page, and go to the help section of blogger.com to figure out what to do next. No luck there. I finally figured out how to add the link (I had some kind of block that had to be unblocked), but every time I tried to add it, it would go to the end of my blog, instead of where I had left the cursor. I had an idea. I'll just type the information that was put at the end of my blog into the spot I wanted it. Although that worked, somehow in the meantime, I messed up the color coding for my last paragraph. After deleting it because I had locked up the screen, I published my changes and checked my edited blog. Not only did my link not appear as a link, now my last paragraph was gray instead of blue! AHHHHH!

I'm back. I had to get away from the computer. I figured a break would do me good, and help ease the tension. Thirty minutes away, but still thinking about how to fix my last post. I know it has something to do with the option to edit being Edit Html. My next step is to try and use the help button again. This time I type in "Editing Posts", and am given information that confirms what I thought. (As I was away from the computer, I kept thinking it had something to do with the option of Edit Html, and trying to remember what the other option was.) As I sat down I saw it is Compose. Now to me, the word compose means to create something new. But in this instance, it means to edit the document in the same simple format that it was created in. BINGO! I went back to editing the post, clicked on Compose, changed my color back to blue, added my link, and now I can breathe again!

So although I am feeling like I learn something valuable each time I tackle a new task on the computer, I'm reminded not to be too confident because some glitch eventually brings me back to reality!

Oh by the way, while looking for a solution to my problem, I found a pretty neat website, http://www.blogohblog.com/50-tools-to-help-you-blogging/. Some of the 50 tools are ones novices like me can use, and others will be valuable to those closer to that "expert" status. You can decide if any will work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment